Gesellius, Lindgren, Saarinen


Herman Gesellius (1874–1916), Armas Lindgren (1874–1929) and Eliel Saarinen (1873–1950) founded a joint architectural office in 1896, while they were still students of architecture. Their office soon gained a leading position in Finnish architecture, and their design of the Finnish Pavilion at the Paris World's Fair of 1900 also made their names known internationally. Gesellius, Lindgren and Saarinen collaborated professionally for approximately a decade and enjoyed overwhelming success in numerous architectural competitions. The most important of these were for the Helsinki Railway Station and the National Museum of Finland. The trio's growing reputation led to a large number of private commissions alongside public architectural projects. They designed many of Finland's best-known buildings of the early 20th century, such as Hvitträsk, their shared studio and residence at Kirkkonummi west of Helsinki, the Suur-Merijoki manor building near Viipuri, the buildings of the Pohjola insurance company and the Pohjoismaiden Osakepankki bank in Helsinki, as well many villas and apartment buildings at Kasarmitori Square and Katajanokka in Helsinki. The joint office disbanded, however, at the turn of 1904 and 1905, after which Lindgren founded his own practice, while Gesellius and Saarinen continued their collaboration. After 1907 all three worked separately.

Armas Lindgren
Eliel Saarinen
 
Class of 1893 at the Polytechnical Institute: Armas Lindgren, Eliel Saarinen, Albertina Östman and Herman Gesellius. Photo: C.P. Dyrendahl (D. Nyblin).




Gesellius, Lindgren, Saarinen: Office stamp, c. 1901.